Bolt 2017 First Design Battery vs Second Design Battery

Carolyn O

Reactions
I purchased my 2017 Bolt in August of 2019. It now has 50K miles and I drive about 6K miles per year. I do not know the maintenance history, if any. Now I am trying to figure out if I have a "first design battery" or a "second design battery". According to my VIN # it appears I have a first design battery -- if it had not been replaced before I purchased the car. I have a VIN# before the VIN Breakpoint (1G1FX6S06H4163254) where they started using the second design battery.

I ask this because I understand that the first design battery had an inherent problem: Bolt 2017 reports greater range than I actually have and may run out of battery power while driving. Does anyone have any background on this? (For background see WeberAuto at:
Go to: 2:40 to 4:47 to 5:16

OP
C

Carolyn O

Reactions
Thread Starter #2
RE: 2017 BOLT: Is this current recall related to the "First Design Battery"? I post the WebAuto video here posting the concern over the "First Design Battery". I got the recall notice (NHTSA Recall #20v701 and manufacturer Recall# N202311730) AND I also determined that I have a "First Design Battery" by the VIN number. I am at the Chevy dealer right now for a "reprogram the hybrid propolsion control model". I received the recall notice in my email.

OP
C

Carolyn O

Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Here is what the Dealer said about the Recall today:

The dealership should be reaching out to you in the near future to discus the loaner vehicle. I did want to give you an update as well about the final fix on the recall. A team of GM engineers has made substantial progress in identifying the root cause and potential remedies for this issue. They are in the process of validating state-of-the-art software that can diagnose potential issues early and restore 100% charge capability. A final remedy for this recall is anticipated for April 2021.